Monday, February 18, 2013

My favourite bread recipe

Recipe using a bread machine.

Ingredients:
500g flour- made up of 250g wholemeal bread flour, 125g Rye flour and 125g Einkorn flour.
25g margarine- I use any vegan margarine that is in my fridge.
1tsp salt
1tsp sugar
1.5 tsp dried yeast
25g mixed seeds, I like to use a mix of sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, poppy seeds, sesame seeds and a few pine nuts, however any combination can produce a tasty mix, try linseed, or chopped nuts or hemp seeds, or may be add raisins or chopped dates for a sweeter bread.
350ml water

Put the water into the bread machine first (unless your bread machine says otherwise).
Then add the flour, covering the water. I find that the above flour mix makes a condense satisfying wholesome bread.
Make a well in the middle of the bread, but don't go as deep as to reach the water.
Put the dried yeast into the well.
Put half the seed mix in one corner and the other half in the opposite corner of the machine.
Put the margarine in one of the remaining corners.
Put the sugar in the remaining corner, and the salt alongside one of the seed mix corners.

Set the bread machine to bake a medium loaf, with a light crust, my bread machine takes 3.5 hours to complete, and can be set to start up to ten hours ahead, so making it possible to wake to the smell of freshly baked bread- wonderful. On my machine, I use setting 3, which is for a basic wholemeal loaf.
I have found that the flour mix and seed mix makes a very tasty, textured bread.

No comments: