Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Summer time and the flies are flying........ or how to deter flies from coming into the house.

 This time of year, flies are in abundance, and I don't know about you, but I detest them! I always think of them walking on sh*t then on food or kitchen surfaces, enough to turn me off food (if only!!!!!). Now being vegan, I don't want to kill them, I just want them to leave me alone - go elsewhere. I searched the Internet for natural deterrents and this one appealed to me: Hang a clear plastic bag, half filled with water and including several pennies over an open door. I had to search around for pennies. Never a penny handy when you need one. I asked my partner if any other coins would do, and was told, no the advice says pennies, so pennies it must be (not convinced about that though!). After trying a few ways of hanging the bag over the door, having to get a step ladder out each time, as the top of the door was just out of my reach, I though to put the bag attached to string, onto a coat hanger, and place it central, on the open door. And guess what - it works! Honestly! In the last few days since I've been doing this, I've hardly had any flies in the house, just the very odd stray. Amazing - it works! Apparently, the 'theory' goes, that flies see it as a potential predator nest, so won't go near it - whatever! It works. So in return for a little hassle, I have a fly free house, YAY! Go ahead, try it, I was skeptical before I tried it, but I'm glad I did.

No comments: